Friday, February 13, 2009

a good morning

I have to start being at work at 7 for the next month, possibly forever. Today was Day 1 of this new development, and not one that I embraced. Still, I'm attempting to put a happy face on it and relish in more daylight hours. When I woke up it was still dark as midnight out, but by the time I staggered out of bed and started the coffee I could see hints of gray peeking in through the blinds. Once you're up it's not so bad, so I packed up my stuff and warmed up the car for a few minutes. In those few moments I could see the sky changing and the world starting to come to life. This was one of those mornings that really makes you appreciate your existence in such a beautiful world. My 20 minute drive is a pleasant one. On my right I can catch glimpses of the bay, Silver Strand, and ocean beyond in between communities and hills. On the left are the mountains, which exist differently than the mountains of my childhood. They rise up without warning, gently touching the sky, and today I could see the new-birth pink rays begin to seep over them and pour onto the valley below. It was as if the sky opened and poured a vat of light gold syrup over the world and smiled. Palm trees were starkly silhouetted against the lavender sky, and I could see the obvious metamorphosis of the morning birth and the ocean gray coming together in a dance off shaking of the sleepiness of the night and welcoming the dawn. I still don't relish in the idea of my nights being so early, but it's these moments of silent clarity that remind me of the world past work, money, and humanly constructed worries.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ummm beth you sound super weird... "the obvious metamorphosis of the morning birth"?!!! who are you?!