Monday, March 9, 2009

New fonts!


Veer came out with a new font collection with Dessau Pro by Gábor Kóthay, and while I'm not usually immediately drawn to Bauhaus-styled imagery, something about this family of sans serif fonts appealed to me. I think it is one of those irrational prejudices that I carried with me from a younger age without ever questioning it, but you would think with my love for "rounded edges and bright colors" I would be more open to this sort of design! Nevertheless, here is their little blurb about the font itself:

Dessau Pro is an extensive Bauhaus-influenced sans serif family with 11 weights and extensive alternate glyphs. Without question there are Hungarian influences, and many authentic letterforms (using samples from various Bauhaus designers.) In part in can be considered a commemoration of Hungarian designers/teachers (Breuer, Moholy-Nagy, Molnár, etc., and to new Bauhaus (Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier and Kassák).

The letters were originally designed for various installations in 1987 (Academy of Fine Arts, Budapest.)


The options and customization for this font are really fun and interesting. I'm predicting even more of a resurgence of this retro look in design. By 2009, I feel fairly confident that all the good design has already happened, but from what I can see on the market today people are using their own innovations to improve the past and push it even further.

No comments: