Thursday, March 5, 2009

This week with Core77

It's always a bittersweet moment when I get the monthly Core77 emails. On one hand, it's always refreshing and inspiring to get a first hand look at brand new design and what people are really creating all over the world. Now that I'm out of school and in a non-art saturated environment for the first time in my life, I have to make sure I keep on top of what's going on. On the other hand, it's super depressing to NOT be in that sort of atmosphere on a daily basis. I try to use it as a motivator to keep myself in tune with the creative juices.

Regardless, this email contained some of my favorite topics inside and outside the realm of interior design- toys and books! The New York Toy Fair (aptly titled "Inspiring Growth") just ended and Core77 was there to capture all the highlights of 2009. They got some great photos that can be seen here, and the show site can be viewed here. I mean, how awesome would it be to just hang around the newest (and some of the classics!) and hottest toy designs and play all day??? Here's a couple of my favorites:


Great dolls by Lunar Loft. Reminds me of uglydolls, but more like cute robots.

Crystallized Swarovski Lamborgini by Maisto. The ultimate bling for any child under 7.


Lego- never a disappointment. How can I live so close to Legoland but have never been???


A new name to me, Kosen's wrinkle-pup made me smile.


I love wooden fruit. It's an oldie but goodie. Just something about the simple, familiar shapes in miniature is comforting. Not necessarily the most innovative, but still a classic (this one by Estia Holzspielwaren)


The only thing better than a real s'more is a fake one, I guess... by Reel Roaster


This little world, perfect for a munchkin or small child, seems easy, breezy, bright, safe, and fun. Great stuff by Melissa and Doug.


I haven't heard of EnviroBlox before, and I don't even know how cool their product is, but this T-Rex is about as cool as it gets.


Skuut's answer for speed and style, for all single digit ages.


Before we get too lost in what's new and good, Core77 also brought around a book of mistakes! Design Disasters: Great Designers, Fabulous Failure, and Lessons Learned by Steven Heller revolves around a single question- what makes good design and bad design? I would definitely like to get my hands on a copy. Here's the review via Coree77 by Robert Blinn. It's an easy to read concise review, so if it's any indication of the book's quality I'd say it's a winner.

No comments: